When I started working in my current job, I felt that long weeks were expected of me. So, I often put in 60-hour weeks. After some years of this, I came to my senses. I deliberately tried to work toward 40-45 hour weeks. Guess what? My productivity went up, and I actually could do more work in less time. Granted, I don't make widgets on a production line: my job is that of a university faculty member (although my work is research and I help operate a lab that raises its own money and operates like a non-profit business) and requires much thinking things through, same as programmers require.

Of late, India has adopted the current business practices of the US. Believe it or not, their programmers work long hours, too, except at a fraction of the salary here. So, yes, they've managed to put many of our programmers out of work. But, guess which business is booming there? Psychiatry! So, they are screwing-up their middle class just as well as we've screwed up our middle class. (Their lower-income class was already screwed, and continues to be so.) Even some of the ethical companies there are slipping on their ethics and allowing these bad practices. Too bad we did not succeed in exporting the example set by some of our better companies. There isn't enough profit in that, I guess.

Adil

At 03:14 PM 11/27/2009, you wrote:
Date:    Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:30:58 -0600
From:    "Rev. Stewart Marshall" <popoz...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Gulag?

I don't know where you got that, but you cannot have a business
unless you are making a profit.

There is a difference between making a profit ethically and making a
profit unethically.

I think that is the real difference.  Unless you feel businesses
should not make a profit?

I happen to be in a business that deals with ethics and morality, and
I can tell you they are not much better than anyone else in that area.

But I go back to my original question.  Do you feel that a business
has a right/better yet has a need to make a profit?