Obviously, the whole thing is quite complicated, specially when you add in those people who cannot afford to be ethical if they are to survive. Let's take the much-maligned WalMart. Many people who work there also shop there because that's what they can afford. And they work there because that may be the best job they could get. Waving the ethical banner at people who are living on the edge isn't very ethical in itself (think about that!). Once you get them off the edge, then go ahead and wave that banner. That (living on the edge), however, is not an excuse that those in power can use. What's their excuse for not helping others?

I don't think what I've said here is something you'd disagree with in a large way, if I read you correctly (in this debate and in others over the years).

Adil

At 06:09 PM 11/27/2009, you wrote:
Date:    Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:03:52 -0600
From:    "Rev. Stewart Marshall" <revsamarsh...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Gulag?

I also stated that business should be run in as ethically as
possible.  Do you consider that ethical?

But we have also caused some of this behavior as we demand the lowest
priced product available.

Plus I think Wall Street is also responsible as they demand that a
business publicly held show a profit.

Stewart

At 03:36 PM 11/27/2009, you wrote:
>Okay, I resisted this discussion until this email of yours, Stewart.
>Yes, business has a right to make a profit. But, does it have a
>right to maximize its profits by maximizing the exploitation of its
>workers? If the answer to that is yes, then I'd say you have no
>business of being in the business of ethics and morality. Whatever
>happened to being humane? Whatever happened to allowing one's
>workers some balance in their lives so that they spend some time
>with their families? Have we become so obsessed with profit that we
>have lost track of why we work: so that we may live? And not the
>other way around: live so that we may work.

<rest snipped>