Two things:  first, as has already been pointed out, email creates a
record and can act as a reminder.  Productivity experts generally
recommend the use of emails over verbal requests.  Knowing
that there is an electronic record that can be forwarded to the
boss is a big incentive to taking timely action on requests.

Second, you were complaining that people were wasting their
productivity using their smart phones.  To a certain extent, they
are trapped in a self-reinforcing cycle.  Getting work related
emails on those same phones interferes with that cycle, making
it easier to break out of it.  Of course, the other peer pressure
tactics should continue as well.

And sending an email is inefficient and cumbersome?  No, sending
an email is incredibly easy.  And it's terribly inefficient for someone
to walk up to me with a non-urgent request of some kind when I
am working against deadline on a project.  Managed properly,
email is a tremendous productivity booster.