Um … no I didn't.  And yes, Steve did say that email was a problem.
Here, I've done the work for you to find the relevant quote of his
post that started this part of the thread:

> It has gotten to the point where the iPhone addicts are now trying to
> find ways to avoid being detected by coworkers as they read and write
> e-mails, check Facebook accounts or otherwise cause production logjams
> because of their addiction problems.

So, email *is* part of the problem, according to Steve.  And I said it
should be part of a solution.  If you go back, you'll see that I wasn't
the first to say this.  Here's the discussion (abridged and sometimes
paraphrased):

Steve:  Those darn kids and their iPhones, emailin' and facebookin' and
twitterin' and whatnot, wastin' their time and mine. (Real quote above, and
plainly he wasn't really being so curmudgeonly).

Tom:  Why don't you ask them your questions via their preferred mode of
communication?  (Actual quote,  and he probably means email, considering
his next post.  Certainly that's what I took him to mean.)

Steve:  (Likely misunderstanding Tom to be referring to phone calls.)
Not a chance.  Do you actually think that it would be preferable for
workers in close proximity to one another to use phones to communicate
with one another as opposed to merely speaking to each other?
(Actual quote.)

Tom:  (Clarifying) I have been sending emails to people who sit right next
to me for over  20 years. It is effective and considerate. I'm not barging in…
(etc., actual quote.)

Stewart:  Yes, and email is useful for reminders as well.

Me (David):  What he said! And the email is right there on the very thing
(smart phone) that is distracting them and so is particularly effective at
bringing
them back to task.

You (Mike):  You changed the subject to email!  Steve never mentioned email!

Me:  I didn't change the subject.

You:  You did.

Which brings us to now, with me saying "I didn't" again, and backing it up.