No, I haven't changed the parameters, you are artificially limiting them.
Anyone who does a substantial fraction of those activities will have
their email running as well, and will compulsively check emails
as they come in.

You, for example (quoting from an old post of yours):

> In answer to your specific question, at the time I sent the last  email
> where I said I want to be able to multitask, I was answering an email,
> on  three IRC networks (talking in two channels actively), on IM with
> a friend  in London and checking twitter for a search I'd done.

Of course, I don't think that you were working at that time, but same
idea.