On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM, tjpa <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> I have been sending emails to people who sit right next to me for over 20
> years. It is effective and considerate. I'm not barging in with a demand
> that my question come first. It lets them queue me up and reply as
> appropriate.

  Fine.  My work environment almost always requires face-to-face and
hands-on discussions of issues directly related to work being done.
We deal with tangible things that you can pick up and look at and
touch and feel.  We do not sit or work in cubicles.  Our work does not
exist in the ether or on hard drives or other media.

  No one "barges in" where I work either.  We mostly share one big
work area, undivided by walls and devoid of doors or other entryways.
When you have a question to pose, you approach the other person, and
if that person is not too busy updating their Facebook page or text
messaging her boyfriend for the seventh time that morning, you can
usually get a prompt audience.  Connecting with others as you often do
in your workplace would just be silly and a waste of time in my
workplace.

  There are actually things that are best taken care of the old
fashioned analog way with eyeball-to-eyeball, human being direct to
another human being without going through a digital filter or conduit.

 Steve