Hi Louise,
        Ted's Triplet #3 is one of my favourites.  It is also an excellent
example of blurring the genre boundaries.

        For the standard description see:
https://www.cambridgefolk.org.uk/contra/dances/ted_sannella/teds_triplet_3.h
tml

        It was written by Ted as a dance for a contra evening.  It may be
worth noting that, back in the mid-20th century, in some areas, the evening
was a square dance evening that included a few contras.  Those sessions then
evolved into contra dance evenings that included a few squares.  Circle
mixers and triplets were also standard at those events.  I love evenings
with variety, so it is sad, in some ways, that those evenings then evolved
into relentless Modern Urban Contra Dances, excluding all other formations.

        But, you could write Ted's Triplet #3 like this:
A1: Right Hands Across; Left Hands Across
A2: Top Couple Half Figure Eight through the Bottom Couple and back to place
B1: Dip & Dive as in Grimstock
B2: #1s Cast to the Bottom, All Partner Two-Hand Turn

        It is then 100% an ECD that could have been written in 1650.  But it
is exactly the same dance.

        I call it nine time through.
First three: ECD style to a Playford tune (Two-Hand Turn)
Second three: Ceilidh style to a Ceilidh tune (Ceilidh Symmetrical Swing)
Third three: Contra style to a lively Contra tune (Ballroom Hold Buzz-Step
Swing)

        Great fun!

Note: for more on replacing the Swing with a Two-Hand Turn see
http://contrafusion.co.uk/SwingTwoHandTurn.html

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802