Hello,

Thanks for your comments! I thought maybe I could develop more on my thoughts:

> Here are some of the solutions I'm currently working
> on:
> - ISP-in-a-box  (BSDI marketplace. (not as competitor, but pointer to learn/take
> place))

I didn't know about BSDI, I will check it out. What I would like is an integrated,
rack-mount box with Apache, Sendmail, Radius server, with modems, 2 ethernet cards
and one T-1 port. Take it out of the box, and become an ISP overnight.

> - Extranet server (_server_ deals - far differ from yours current development
> directions. Caldera not lazy - the market want to see them that way)

I know it's different from what Mandrake currently is. But there is a need for it,
and Caldera does not cover the needs of my customers (I am an ISP). And Mandrake
was selected Product of the year in the Server category, while Caldera was first in
the Client category. Look at all the PR Linux had these days, it's for the server
room. Compaq, VA, PenguinComputing, SGI, Oracle...

> - Linux in Internet Kiosk (*1)

Internet access in airports, bars, cafes, shopping malls, with a _stable_ platform.
With mod_roaming, or /home mounted as NFS, customers could keep their bookmarks,
files, etc..

> Maybe we can package Linux in other ways:
> - Cheap Home Computer without Windows
> - Internet Telephony appliance
> - Home entertainment center (do you have same^W near 1% set of games offering
> that nintendo/sonyPS/Win32_at_last have (ZXspectrum games under emulator not
> count(kids want real FX)))

I was more thinking about a set-top-box with DVD, cable, plugged in your sound
system, with games for adults (blackjack, bingo, fantasy sports) , Internet access,
pay-per-view movies, etc.. (anyone ever heard of that crappy Videoway system from
videotron built on a Commodore 64 that has millions of subscribers? ;-)

> - Point-of-sale applications (*2)
> etc...

> *1 - technically is same as *2

Maybe the term is not a good one. Put a Linux box in a restaurant with a
touch-screen, use it as your cash register/accounting system/inventory system and
implement EDI/JiT/ERP with your suppliers.

Jean-Michel Dault
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]