I'd be interested in a minimal distribution. -And building better
gradations in between. I'm burning my first Cooker CD as I write, so I
haven't yet tried Panoramix.

But it still seems that what is being offered is either:
- Take everything (800+MB) Workstation, Server, etc
- Weed through 500+ packages, and then struggle with overlooked package
dependencies

I'd like to see more configuration options in between. I remember when
Linux, X, Networking, and Dev tools could all be fit on a 65MB HD with a
little room left over. I used to laugh at Win95 taking up 65 MB of drive
capacity... Now your average linux distribution will try to take 800+MB.

Base Install:  Just enough to call it an OS. tomsrtbt does that well
(http://www.toms.net/rb/)
\/
Min/Cust/Max Configurations by Functionality Groupings: GUI desktop
environment, Office Suite, Productivity, Network apps, Network services,
Development, Document Processing, and Help Documentation.  -I don't need
8 shells, 16 editors, and documentation in 12 formats and 32 languages.
\/
General Purpose Configurations:  Server (maximum Network services,
minimum everything else), Workstations, etc. -Composed of different
min/cust/max sets of functionality from above, but easy for an installer
to customize since it can be decomposed into subsets of functionality.
-But where the dependencies for minimum configurations are nailed down
tight, well tested, and actually
work.

The Linux Router Project already does most of the ISP-in-a-box. Add
Apache, make it painstakingly easy to configure, and you'd be done.
(http://www.linuxrouter.org/)

I'm interested in trying a minimal distribution so that I can start
dinking around with the Virtual Server Project
(http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ippfvs/).  If Mandrake were ever to
make server clustering for the purposes of load-balancing services,
fail-over, and administration,  easy to get up and running, now that
would be an Integrated cash cow.

--
Garrett Goebel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]