I have installed mandrake 7.0 4 times. 1st time I couldn't get it to
recognize my modem. Figured I did something wrong during install. 2nd time I
hard jumpered the modem and got the modem working. Everything seemed fine. I
tested CD roast by copying a CD ... it was buggy.. graphically... widgets
blanked out etc... but it was still burning... so I let it go. Burn was
fine.Powered down the machine ... went to bed.... Started the machine...
"KERNEL PANIC". I had no idea how to fix that . So on to the 3rd time... I
start the install Bam! It tells me It can't find the proper kernel headers..
So I wait for the CD from a freind of mine to come in the mail. Again
looking at myself as the problem. maybe the CD had scratches.. maybe a
corrupt download. Got the CD in the mail. Installed Great..... Modem
working.... Cruisin the internet... found sound drivers ... reference mind
you ... but hey this is linux .. give it a try.  I do a sndconfig ... it
says drivers not supported ... even though it SEES the drivers. I try some
things.. Well I have sound in some areas....... but no event sounds. I try
to play a CD . Well guess what... ALL 3 Cdroms I have are pointing to my
floppy drive! I try to correct this... No go... try in root etc...Nada. So I
get on the internet to talk with some linux freinds to see what they think..
All of a sudden my screen starts pulsating. I get it shut down thinking.. My
monitor is toast. Slip Winblows hard drive in... boot up.. everything is
fine.
  My thoughts are... maybe the kernel is not compatible with the K62 400
CPU....Only area I can see that would do random changes to a system. Also...
Linux convention in  New York is coming up... So mandrake people rushed the
CD out so they could have it packaged ready to go at the convention. IF this
is the case... Ya might have shot yourself in the foot. Please realize
Mandrake has been my favorite distro since 5.1. Why .. because it was easy
to use for a beginner like me. well... I am not even at inttermediate yet.
This version is NOT easy it is "pretty" to install. there is NO way to know
ALL the packages you select are going to be installed or not.. there is NO
select ALL option.
 I hope there will be a less buggy release in the future.

Take care

Chris