----- Original Message -----
From: Pixel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Rescue ISO?

> David Hedbor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > If you have an ISO-rescue-image, there really isn't any reason why it
> > would _have_ to be minimal other than to save potential download time.
>
> one reason is the ability to fit in ramdisk and free the cdrom drive...
>
> another reason for having it in ramdisk is the speed (cdrom access time is
poor
> to say the least)

well then, /usr/bin and other tools andfiles could be on the CD, with links
from the ramdisk filesystem to them. Loading the special utility programs
would be slow, but you only need to load and run them once to fix the
problem.

I noticed no one has picked up on the DemoLinux reference I made. That is a
full intsall of Linux based on Mandrake 5.3 with a more current kernel that
could easily be modified to include backup and other utility programs - a
complete rescue disk.

Hoyt