Luca Berra wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 02:12:47PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> I DO agree with you in that the user should be able to check the
> checkbox, if you leave me the possibility of modifying what the checkbox
> does, that is.

Well, you would then probably want to be able to modify what it says next
to the checkbox too ...

> I DO NOT agree that autocreate or auto-(assume that the luser wants this
> so do it silently)-anything is user friendly.
>
> I would personally like a single framework for configuration, but all
> frameworks i found in 13 years working on unix systems do suck far more
> than vi.

It's no problem though if they work well with vi (ie not removing
comments, not storing configuration in some other meta-configuration file
so your changes are overwritten, for example).

> I am not saying it cannot be done, what i would like, but i don't know
> how to achieve is having a configuration framework that
> a) doesn't hide details leaving the user in need of using vi
> b) does not make assumptions
> c) has decent sanity checks (drakconnect once for obscure reason addedd
> ip 10.0.0.1 for my workstation at top of /etc/hosts, i took hours to
> understand why random things were malfunctioning)
> d) has proper configuration history/rollback features

This is one I haven't asked about, but was thinking about on Friday, this
is necessary, and not too difficult ...

> e) lets the admin configure it with cutomized host or site wide
> policies (these should be enough to replace assumptions).

The site-wide bit is going to be more complex, MS does it via Active
Directory (Group Policy objects stored in the OU or the "site"
configuration).

> f) is able to adapt to changes in configuration options of the single
> subsystem.

Provision has been made, IMHO, the "template" (as it is called in libconf)
should be owned by the package, but in libconf it seems there will be a
template owned by libconf, but it should take into account an alternative
template file.

> I never asked for another web frontend, i am just stating that their
> existance is caused by repeated failures of creating a decent framework,
> or agreing on the need of one, we have tons of linux distros each with
> it's own config framework, plus a good number of non distro related
> tools.

Well, libconf is possibly also going to be used by Gentoo? Anyway, it
seems the most complete framework so far (and I was subscribed to
http://unixconfig.sourceforge.net, which was aimed at solving this
problem, and at least had discussions covering all the frameworks
available at the time, but never go off the ground).

> M$ did not have this problem, and did not even have to deal with 100+
> different configuration syntaxes, and 10+ different gui frameworks,
> hence the better result.

There isn't really an issue dealing with multiple gui frameworks, if there
is one configuration backed, which interfaces to the 100+ configuration
syntaxes, and provides hints to the gui (on what needs to be configured,
descriptions, etc etc), as any competitive gui framework will find
themselves needing to make a frontend (which should need no knowledge of
any service, only of the backend).

This is more or less what libconf is aiming at ... but at present I don't
think there are enough people working on it to complete it for 9.2 (by
complete, I mean covering all the services available in main). With
community involvement from people who can hack a regex and know one
service pretty well, it would be feasible though.

Regards,
Buchan