On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 05:02:49PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2003, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
> > > mandrakeclub (or do a telephone poll for registered users, but that will
> > > be more expensive).
> >
> > I don't like mandrakeclub much.
> why? This is ofcourse a bit oftopic. But club gives you an excellent few
> of the (paying) user experience of the distro. Mandrake lacks resources
> currently. I assume they also lack resources for doing market research of
> individual users. Being actively involved in the club, would tell you what
> users interest the most (it ofcourse also costs too much time for every
> cooker to do it, but it is in contrast to this list, feedback of non-tech
> users).
> Ok, above only explains 1 possible advantage of club, that ofcourse does
> not mean you have to like or dislike it.

If I were an AOL user I'd say "me too", but I'll expand a bit ;-)

I'm a silver member of mandrakeclub and I rarely visit the site and find
something useful there. Maybe I'm not the targeted user of mandrake club,
since I know most things that come up in the forums and the security updates
announces come in via e-mail. Voting for RPM's is nice, but hardly something
that should be available all the time.

The forums have not nearly enough presence of mandrake employees, so it has
degenerated in a shouting competition where newbies cry that things aren't
working properly (mostly organisational) and "loyal" members saying the
same, but more politely. I believe mandrakeusers.org provides more value
than club does and for free too.

The software that is members-only is so hard to reach that I don't bother
anymore, getting it directly from the source is easier. (with the exception
of a few real commercial ones, but staroffice is not part of that anymore,
so why bother)

So I'm a member, mainly because I don't want mandrake to die!

Cheers,

Simon