For what it is worth, I liked the interface of rpmdrake from 8.2
better than the 9.0 9.1 stuff. I did complain about 8.2 at that time
that I found the install/remove being on the same button confusing.
But I find the current rpmdrake more confusing, being 4 separate
programs with much related functionality: install remove mandrakeupdate
and sources administration.

I would rather have all of that in one program/interface.
Maybe you could look at synaptic for some ideas on how it could be done.

And I am as an experienced user / mirror maintainer / software
architecht for best dissemination of Linux wannabe - also sometimes
confused about that I cannot find some software to install, when
the package already is installed.

best regards
keld