On 17 Jun 2003, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> > mandrakeclub (or do a telephone poll for registered users, but that will
> > be more expensive).
>
> I don't like mandrakeclub much.
why? This is ofcourse a bit oftopic. But club gives you an excellent few
of the (paying) user experience of the distro. Mandrake lacks resources
currently. I assume they also lack resources for doing market research of
individual users. Being actively involved in the club, would tell you what
users interest the most (it ofcourse also costs too much time for every
cooker to do it, but it is in contrast to this list, feedback of non-tech
users).
Ok, above only explains 1 possible advantage of club, that ofcourse does
not mean you have to like or dislike it.

> I see now. Ok. I think that the other proposal to display results
> in installed packages if search in installable fails is a good
> compromise.
>
> The problem is that startup time will increase, together with
> memory footprint. Not talking about maintainance issue.
What exactly is done at startup, why does it take so long? I wondered
about this before. There was also a post about the slow search (to which
didn't quite satisfactory answer IM0, why is kpackage quicker in searching
than rpmdrake? Do you think it can be optimized?)

> > But hey people want
more and more features.. they do have a cost. >
luckily, we do have More's law.

> Proposed implementations always sucked because they were based on
> reverting to old rpmdrake with the clumsy complicated interface
> with all features under the eyes, ending up with something too
> complicated for beginners.
Yes, it should be done in a good way. But as I said, rpmdrake currently
has a very good and easy to understand basis, so I am confident you can
improve on it:)

d.