Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
> Buchan Milne ha scritto:

> Furthermore as I said the default (now "" again) mailsubdir path in
> uw-imapd which allows to get $HOME system files suggested as mail
> folders for
> subscribing looks very unprofessional and insecure... (and it happens
> basically in any mail client other than mozilla...).

And Outlook Express downloads them all to see if they are mailboxes ;-).

>> test uw->dovecot migration now that it's in contrib.
>

> uw -> dovecot migration is transparent (but only if users
> place their mailbox in "mail" or "Mail"); but this isn't
> in latest uw-imapd (after removing of mailsubdir path). Nor
> there is a way for getting it totally transparent, since dovecot use the
> $HOME/{mail,Mail}/.subscriptions while uw-imapd uses $HOME/.mailboxlist
> file.
> Anyway it seems promising but I don't see it so better performing than
> imapd. It uses
> indexes for mailboxes, and that's speed up, but on the other hand the
> INBOX is in /var/spool/mail/ and needs to be reindexed every time, since
> INBOXes are accessed
> at the same time but the MTA (which could be postfix, sendmail, etc.).
>
> IMHO one of the cause of the claimed poor performance of
> uw-imapd mailbox based vs maildir(s) one is that end USERS don't
understand
> that thay could have other folders than INBOX which is generally
> left grown indefinitely (so for every new messages,
> the whole scanning needs to be redone).

Well, I knew about folders since the beginning (since I setup our
server, and patched it to store mail in $HOME/mail), but I don't see why
I shouldn't be able to have 10000 mails in a folder ...

> The second problem
> is that IMHO using uw-imapd under xinetd doesn't give the
> best performance on connection (maybe there is a way to use
> it as standalone daemon).

Actually, this is one of the reasons we want to drop it, we have
problems with xinetd refusing to start it sometimes, then we have to
restart xinetd, and if someone doesn't catch it before the users do ...
>>> Personally I my vote is for cyrus, but I know others prefer courier.
>>> (How about moving cyrus & courier into main?)
>>
>> Depending on how dovecot performs (and the features, but it looks ok),
>> maybe dovecot would be better in main (as the default imap server), and
>> if there is space, cyrus.
>

> Why don't do a serious test with uw-imapd, cyrus-imap, courier-imap
> and dovecot, but with a certain amount of messages, i.e. more than
> 10000-20000 or 50000 messages per users, and with multiple user SSL
> accesses at same
> time?

Well, we're currently migrating from uw to cyrus, preparing to migrate
our 100 users, some (like me) with over 500MB of mail. I can compare it
before we migrate, but it will only be compared against cyrus, since I
don't want to migrate to courier mail format also! And it will be on an
otherwise idle fast server (unless I get some artificial clients), so it
won't be real-world.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.