Buchan Milne ha scritto:

And Outlook Express downloads them all to see if they are mailboxes ;-).

That's because they are visible in IMAP and the first time one is connected they are visibile? Is there a rule that forbid folders to be called with names like .ssh or Desktop or .procmailrc?

that thay could have other folders than INBOX which is generally
left grown indefinitely (so for every new messages,
the whole scanning needs to be redone).

Well, I knew about folders since the beginning (since I setup our
server, and patched it to store mail in $HOME/mail), but I don't see why
I shouldn't be able to have 10000 mails in a folder ...

"IMAP:INBOX" folder is not like other folders, since it needs to be accessed by other programs, like postfix, so there is needing locking, etc.; ALL other folders can be in any desired format (mailbox, mailbox+indexes, maildir, ONEWHOLEFILEFORALLUSERSMAILS ala EXCHANGE) since they need to be accessed only by one application. (well, except for $HOME folder written by procmail).

Actually, this is one of the reasons we want to drop it, we have
problems with xinetd refusing to start it sometimes, then we have to
restart xinetd, and if someone doesn't catch it before the users do ...

Curiously I heard that such problems aren't arising for who
uses "inetd" instead of "xinetd" (right now I think only on non-Linux
OS like Solaris). Since I sometimes found those "timeout" problems
under xinetd (especially together with SSL), I'm starting to think that xinetd
is broken (or broken for imapd...). I wonder if the same happens
in qpopper or the same pop3 from uw-imapd (or when SSL is not used). On the other hand I generally have almost all the xinetd services "off" so I don't know if
other xinetd daemons are also affected.

Well, we're currently migrating from uw to cyrus, preparing to migrate our 100 users, some (like me) with over 500MB of mail. I can compare it

AFAIK is not the size of the mail, but the # of messages (searching, stating, etc. through 50000 files of 1K is not the same as searching in a 50MB file).

before we migrate, but it will only be compared against cyrus, since I
don't want to migrate to courier mail format also! And it will be on an
otherwise idle fast server (unless I get some artificial clients), so it
won't be real-world.

As I said I would like to see good benchmark comparison, as otherwise one can talk only about myths (like qmail is still faster than postfix, etc.). The only test I seen were pretty old, on obsolete imaps/courier/etc. versions, with obsolete Linux distributions, etc.

Bye.
Giuseppe.