On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:27:49PM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
Hi,

the attached diff fixes for me
running lvm1 format VG's/LV's with the lvm2 tools and devmapper
both for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
probably the fix is ok, but i would rather add a lvmrc script, like
hp-ux does, rc.sysinit is too much bloated for this.
besides even with lvm1 doing vgscan every time is redundant.

is there any chance for LVM2 and devmapper in MDK-9.2,
or is it too late?
i'd like to see them also.

i have experimental patches for 2.4 (see the ZY patches)
http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/ruby-contrib/mdk-cook/probably_broken/
10x

but the devmapper and lvm2 rpms are tottaly brocken
(from time to time i just use the web space until i solve my fs corruption problems)
i have a decent devmapper rpm at
http://percy.comedia.it/~bluca/cooker/lvm2
including a lilo with device mapper support.

The lvm rpm there suck a little.
I had to create an lvm1 and lvm2 rpm which conflict with the lvm
in the distro and use alternatives to allow installation in parallel.
but i would like much better if i could devise a scheme to do runtime
lvm version detection. Maybe updating the alternatives in rc.sysinit
could be ok.
But i think i can also write a wrapper that tries to in order the device
mapper proc file and the lvm1 proc file and then decides which one to
run.
The worst thing is that a luser could have some vg managed by dm and
some by lvm1 at the same time, but i don't know if we want to support
that.
We also need a working initrd which supports lvm2 and lvm1 also.

also could some one give me some hints about the last patch
ZY18_dev-mapper_preffix_dm_fls.patch

devmapper defines internally generic_fls which conflicts with one
of the x86_64 patches (HB08_define_fls) , so i decided to prefix the
devmapper ones with generic_dm_fls.
is this the right solution?
anyone having a better one?

I believe the two peices of code are the same so the code in devmapper can be dropped safely. well, devmapper code uses unsigned for the parameter that i believe would be more correct than what we have. Atm i just removed the fls function from dm-io.c and renamed the only occurrence where it was called to use generic_fls32() which is the devmapper one.

regards,
L.

-- Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] Communication Media & Services S.r.l. /"\ \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN X AGAINST HTML MAIL / \