Quoting Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:27:49PM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >the attached diff fixes for me
> >running lvm1 format VG's/LV's with the lvm2 tools and devmapper
> >both for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
> probably the fix is ok, but i would rather add a lvmrc script, like
> hp-ux does, rc.sysinit is too much bloated for this.
> besides even with lvm1 doing vgscan every time is redundant.

smth like debian & suse?

there was a thread horrible rc.sysinit a while ago,
but it won't change for 9.2 (and someone mentioned it would break the
compatibility to redhat, i don't know we need it thought)

> >is there any chance for LVM2 and devmapper in MDK-9.2,
> >or is it too late?
> i'd like to see them also.
>
> >i have experimental patches for 2.4 (see the ZY patches)
> >http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/ruby-contrib/mdk-cook/probably_broken/
> 10x
>
> >but the devmapper and lvm2 rpms are tottaly brocken
> >(from time to time i just use the web space until i solve my fs corruption
> problems)
> i have a decent devmapper rpm at
> http://percy.comedia.it/~bluca/cooker/lvm2
> including a lilo with device mapper support.
>
> The lvm rpm there suck a little.
> I had to create an lvm1 and lvm2 rpm which conflict with the lvm
> in the distro and use alternatives to allow installation in parallel.
> but i would like much better if i could devise a scheme to do runtime
> lvm version detection. Maybe updating the alternatives in rc.sysinit
> could be ok.

why do you think we have to install lvm1 & lvm2 in parallel?
to support kernels without devmapper?

in case the distribution kernel has devmapper we don't need lvm1(just my thoughts)

> But i think i can also write a wrapper that tries to in order the device
> mapper proc file and the lvm1 proc file and then decides which one to
> run.

me - luser:
where is the mapper proc file?
i just got it running yesterday, did't have time to look arround,
but couldn't find /proc/lvm :-)

> The worst thing is that a luser could have some vg managed by dm and
> some by lvm1 at the same time, but i don't know if we want to support
> that.

How?
hell no, even if its teoretically possible, its probably pretty dangerous

> We also need a working initrd which supports lvm2 and lvm1 also.

do we need it :-)
mandrake do not support "/" on lvm

is there lvm1 support currently ?

> >also could some one give me some hints about the last patch
> >ZY18_dev-mapper_preffix_dm_fls.patch
> >
> >devmapper defines internally generic_fls which conflicts with one
> >of the x86_64 patches (HB08_define_fls) , so i decided to prefix the
> >devmapper ones with generic_dm_fls.
> >is this the right solution?
> >anyone having a better one?
>
> I believe the two peices of code are the same so the code in devmapper
> can be dropped safely. well, devmapper code uses unsigned for the
> parameter that i believe would be more correct than what we have.
> Atm i just removed the fls function from dm-io.c
> and renamed the only occurrence where it was called to use
> generic_fls32() which is the devmapper one.

may be we should then drop the HB08... and fix x86_64 to use the devmapper one,
but i don't have x86_64 to fix/verify it

best,

svetljo