On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:56:17AM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
Quoting Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:27:49PM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
probably the fix is ok, but i would rather add a lvmrc script, like
hp-ux does, rc.sysinit is too much bloated for this.
besides even with lvm1 doing vgscan every time is redundant.

smth like debian & suse?
have to check what debian and suse are doing nowadays, but for lvm at
least i would like to have some control on which volumes should be
activated at boot and which should not.
and vgscan should not be done at boot at all!
there was a thread horrible rc.sysinit a while ago,
but it won't change for 9.2 (and someone mentioned it would break the
compatibility to redhat, i don't know we need it thought)
rc.sysinit has to change a 32k script is just too difficule, and a small
syntax error can hose your system.
redhat compatibility? you mean keeping rh bugs, no thanks.

why do you think we have to install lvm1 & lvm2 in parallel?
to support kernels without devmapper?
well i'd like to be able to switch back and forth, at least for a while.
in case the distribution kernel has devmapper we don't need lvm1(just my thoughts)
this would be easier to implement. but using alternatives does not hurt
either.

me - luser:
where is the mapper proc file?
/dev/mapper/control, sorry.

The worst thing is that a luser could have some vg managed by dm and
some by lvm1 at the same time, but i don't know if we want to support
that.

How? hell no, even if its teoretically possible, its probably pretty dangerous
it is pratically possible [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # ./vgdisplay
/proc/lvm/VGs/vg00 exists: Is the original LVM driver using this volume group?
Can't lock vg00: skipping

We also need a working initrd which supports lvm2 and lvm1 also.

do we need it :-) mandrake do not support "/" on lvm is there lvm1 support currently ?
what do you mean with support?
mandrake installer could not create a lvm root last time i checked, but
lilo and mkinitrd are ready to boot from lvm since 9.0 IIRC.

may be we should then drop the HB08... and fix x86_64 to use the devmapper one,
but i don't have x86_64 to fix/verify it
me neither.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.