Quoting Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:56:17AM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> >Quoting Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:27:49PM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> >> probably the fix is ok, but i would rather add a lvmrc script, like
> >> hp-ux does, rc.sysinit is too much bloated for this.
> >> besides even with lvm1 doing vgscan every time is redundant.
> >
> >smth like debian & suse?
> have to check what debian and suse are doing nowadays, but for lvm at
> least i would like to have some control on which volumes should be
> activated at boot and which should not.
> and vgscan should not be done at boot at all!

i think they have smth like /etc/rc.boot where let say
installing raidtools would drop a init script for activating the soft raids
installing lvm-tools ........................................ the VG's & LV's

> >there was a thread horrible rc.sysinit a while ago,
> >but it won't change for 9.2 (and someone mentioned it would break the
> >compatibility to redhat, i don't know we need it thought)
> rc.sysinit has to change a 32k script is just too difficule, and a small
> syntax error can hose your system.
> redhat compatibility? you mean keeping rh bugs, no thanks.
>
> >why do you think we have to install lvm1 & lvm2 in parallel?
> >to support kernels without devmapper?
> well i'd like to be able to switch back and forth, at least for a while.

after i used my LVM1 version LV's with LVM2, i can no longer access them
with MDK-9.1/ LVM1 tools & update kernel -25mdk
i have 4 xfs LV's and 1 reiserfs

under MDK-9.1 with LVM1 all xfs volumes are somehow remapped to the reiserfs one
( whenever i try to mount one of them, i get the content of reiserfs LV,
mounted as reiserfs)
something which should probably partitialy explain it
mount 1st xfs volume; umount it
mount 2nd xfs volume; umount it
dmesg:
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:00) ...
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:00) ...
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.6.25

both times device 3a:00

under cooker with LVM2 everythings works OK

> >> The worst thing is that a luser could have some vg managed by dm and
> >> some by lvm1 at the same time, but i don't know if we want to support
> >> that.
> >
> >How?
> >hell no, even if its teoretically possible, its probably pretty dangerous
> it is pratically possible
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # ./vgdisplay
>   /proc/lvm/VGs/vg00 exists: Is the original LVM driver using this volume
> group?
> Can't lock vg00: skipping

and can you load dm-mod after that and activate different VG (without
deactivating vg00)? i think this shouldn't be possible.

> >> We also need a working initrd which supports lvm2 and lvm1 also.
> >
> >do we need it :-)
> >mandrake do not support "/" on lvm
> >is there lvm1 support currently ?
> what do you mean with support?
> mandrake installer could not create a lvm root last time i checked, but
> lilo and mkinitrd are ready to boot from lvm since 9.0 IIRC.

well,
i know you belive it's absolutely save to have "/" on lvm (lvm & cooker ml
posts) but i'm still not convinced, and the mdk team probably too,
so initrd & lilo are not important as the tools & devmapper (just my thoughts)

> >may be we should then drop the HB08... and fix x86_64 to use the devmapper
> one,
> >but i don't have x86_64 to fix/verify it
> me neither.

anyone out there running cooker on a x86_64 ?

svetljo