Hi

I've already used this tool in XP (using the compatibility wizard) of course it didn't work to wellbut that's microsoft's compatibility wizard for you.

I personally think it would be a great idea to include it on the mandrake cd as it makes life easier for people using duel boot. And personally I hate using FAT partitions just for transfering files.

It would be great if you extended it onto all versions of Windows and even more partition formats not just the Ext ones.

Well that's my 2 pennies worth

Mike ;-)

Manoj Joseph wrote:

Hi,

I have a piece of software that I would like to submit for consideration for inclusion in the Mandrake distribution.
I wrote to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I was directed to make a presentation in this forum.

The software is an ext2 file system driver for Windows NT 4.0.

What does this software do?
---------------------------
- This software is a file system driver - for Windows NT
- It facilitates access to ext2 partitions from Windows NT by *any* windows application.
- The drive can be accessed just like a native (fat/ntfs) partition - through the regular windows APIs.
- The partitions show up as regular drives - E:, F: etc.
- The user does not 'see' the fat and the ext2 partitions as 'different'.
- Functionality-wise, this driver is similar to the FAT FS driver that ships with windows.

Note: This is not a user mode program like the ext2 explorer utilities out there which permit users to copy files to and from ext2 partitions.

Who would need it?
------------------
- This driver's primary target would be (WinNT+Linux) dual-boot
systems.
- *Lots* of home user installations are dual-boot. Very often WinNT+Linux. Like mine. ;)
- Very useful to a Windows NT user who is shifting to Linux...

Why include a Windows Utility with Linux??
- I think of this as a 'migration' utility rather than a _Windows Utility_.
- Just as support for fat and ntfs(?) in Linux makes a dual-boot
worth trying, the reverse (support for ext2 in NT) does make sense especially in the context of a dual boot system and a user transitioning from Windows to Linux.

Is this Windows NT only?
This driver presently works for Windows NT 4.0. If there is a demand, I could extend it to Windows 2000/XP/2003
and Ext3...

Do you guys out there see any sense in my reasoning? Please feel free to comment.
I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,
Manoj