Ok, breaking my own wow not to reply to this thread anymore, *sic*.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| I think this may help:
|
| http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/en/mdkads.php3
|
| it clears up some misconceptions and definitely eases my mind
regarding the
| situation.

Thanks for pointing it out, it does clear up the issues. But why this
page had to appear only after the uproar erupted ? I remember the
original, which was quite different. E.g. the screen savers were
explicitly there, now they are gone. Good, that was my major peeve about
this.

Thank you Mandrake for keeping things on sane level. Just your marketing
dep. should perhaps ask around next time, it could have saved you a big
PR problem.

| I think the problem is that when you say "Ad" people think of the most
common
| example: spam or popups.  Those are very intrusive and annoying.  I
don't mind
| advertising as long as it's removable, discreet, and contextual to
where the Ad
| is placed. I don't think Ad's in the screensaver are a good idea, but
bookmarks
| and installer Ad's shouldn't be a problem if they aren't terribly
annoying or
| distracting.

Completely agreed, although nobody was talking about spam and pop-ups in
this context. That would be horrid thing to do. If the ads are limited
to bookmarks, default web page and the installer, I guess nobody will
complain much, there was some Mandrake advertising in this form before
as well. I am not a big fan of ads or adware anywhere, but if it helps
Mandrakesoft to pay people, I have no problem with it, just keep it in
sane boundaries and keep people informed (that seems like a chronic MDK
problem, though).

Hopefully this insanity now ends.

Regards,

Jan