> On Fri Sep 12, 2003 at 09:22:15PM +0200, Jan Ciger wrote:
>
> (Ok, I lied, but I had to respond to this post because it's just
> infuriating
> and insulting).
>
> > | I hate to say it, but it cracks me up how people are so against
> > advertising,
> > | our business model, and things we do to make revenue so that the
> > developers
> > | and others in the company can eat and afford to spend all of their
> time
> > | working on the distro.  Sounds like the community would rather have a
> ice
> > | distribution but all the developers should be homeless and starving.
> >
> > I think, that this is just not true and most people here will agree.
> > There are plenty of ways how to make money out of the product without
> > resorting to ads. E.g. selling support, selling special "enterprise"
> > versions (e.g. RedHat is doing this) or making the distro
> > semi-commercial (aka Suse).
>
> Listen.  No matter what we do, there will be some people who don't like
> it,
> and those people will be vocal.  History has proven this.  Selling
> support?
> Sure, great idea.  But people will go to mailing lists, newsgroups, web
> forums, etc. before purchasing support.  It's great for enterprise, lousy
> for "joe user".  We would also need an increase in staff, which means we
> need to pay these people (and train them) before utilizing them, which
> costs
> money.  So something has to be done to create enough money to increase the

> size of the support department.
>
> Selling special enterprise versions?  C'mon.  People were *so* pissed that

> Corporate Server didn't have ISOs available.  What's the result?  People
> who
> want servers (and pay) buy ProSuite because it's cheaper.  People download

> the ISOs and use those for servers.  Then people cry when we don't support

> them after 18mos.
>
> Making the distro semi-commercial?  Did you not read this thread?  People
> seem to think that with these ads Mandrake *is* semi-commercial.  So if
> you're suggesting this as a viable alternative, well, guess what.. you
> just
> stepped up in favour of what we're doing according to what has been
> contributed to this thread already!
>
> (See what I mean about no matter what you do some people won't like it?)
>
> > I do not think, that there is a problem with making money out of the
> > product. Most people here are Club members or bought their boxes.
>
> Fair enough, but I don't know about "most".  Shall we conduct a poll and
> determine how many people are on the cooker list and how many have bought
> 9.1 and/or are current Club members?  I don't think "most" will measure
> up.
>
> Fact is, considering our estimated number of users, an extremely small
> [...]

hm,
great
mdk apreciate everything done in cooker, but ...

i really don't no where would be mdk without cooker,
and all the people investing time in cooker,
spare time OK, but what means spare time,

i have a few minutes lates test really good this beta,
let's preapre some packages & try to push them
let's wait and resend until ......

mandrake WAS open for me,
but this

don't know what to say