> Kirjoitit viestissäsi (lähetysaika Sunnuntai 05 Lokakuu 2003 17:28):
>> On Sunday 05 Oct 2003 14:55, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>> > Jos Hulzink kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika Sunnuntai 05 Lokakuu
>> 2003

>> > today gaim, tomorrow OpenOffice.org final..., and then ...
>> >
>> > and suddenly the updates mirrors are not a few kB more... instead
>> you will be calculating the updates in MBs, then in GBs ....
>>
>> For some reason I immedately must think about the famous Redmond OS
>> service packs, sometimes 100 MB in size. You happily download those,
>> for they fix bugs.

I guess that users download the updates so happily that their machines are
never more than a week behind? This is why we never have worms for Windows
that congest the whole internet when the fix has been available through
WindowsUpdate for 3 weeks?

Also, remember that WindowsXPSP1 broke virual memory management, which is
why they had to issue SP1a => 200MB+ download if you were keeping up.

> Yeah, but we don't have to try to be as "bad" as them... ;-)
>  and remember that all those customers (atleast the legal ones) has
> already
> paid for their product, something that you can compare to the club
> account (  see below...)
>
> and IMHO that's something that people don't really like either
> especially on  slow dial-up lines...

Also, note that reviewers often take the installation time, and compare
the whole distro on this. So, if they were to do an installation with
updates, and we had OpenOffice.org (~ 100MB update for a single locale if
the whole package were updated) in updates, that would easily double the
installation time ...

Also, it might lead reviewers to think the update hadn't worked.

So, there had better be very good reasons for updating large packages.

BTW, most (ie >95% of) internet subscribers in South Africa are on dialup.
We have about 3000 DSL lines total available in the country ... and I
expect there are many countries in a similar situation, where just adding
OpenOffice.org to updates would require users to run a > 6 hour update ...

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.