Yo!

[...]

> Stephen and dear Mandrake,
>
> I believe 300MB is still too much.
> 100MB is my target, 150MB is absolute maximum.

You probably want to do some hacking around with the packages, and do some
give and take.

> Recently I was re-installing Windows 98 Second Edition.
> 130MB put on disk (install cabs), then - setup.exe. And -Windows installed!
>
> Additional Compaq stuff (I have Compaq Presario 1800 notebook) takes around
> 10MB, plus DVD player from Mediamatics. Rather compact.

FYI, I have an old 486 with a 6.0 based distribution (though it is of coures
cookerized, duh ... ;) BTW an interesting fact is that Mandrake 6.x *DOES*
work on i486 computers with hacking, it is just that you must recompile the
kernel yourself.

The last time I did df it used around 183 MB, that's for all of the core,
plus XFree 3, and samba.

> But, for my old HP OmniBook 5500 notebook (Pentium/133, 16MB, 1.3GB HDD,
> Chips&Technologies video) it will not work. (that's my wife's computer)
> And, for sure, I will not compile programs on HP Omnibook. :-)
>
> But that machine is still ok, and runs Windows 98 with Solitaire at very
> reasonable speed. As well as MS Outlook. Your answer means that this machine
> will stay with Win 98 forever...
> OK, I can make compromise and run Gnome or IceWM (instead of KDE) on HP
> Omnibook - I believe there is some Solitaire, which doesn't need ultra-modern
> CORBA-enabled object-oriented browser :-) But as mailing client, I really
> like KMail. And KMail needs KDE. Not sure that Evolution will run without
> Gnome, so looks like KDE or GNOME has to be installed.

Are you sure ?
You only need the KDE libs, no?

--
Geoff