Pelon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> Although it would probably be a significant
> project, wouldn't it be nice to cut that 15M of
> modules down to just the necessary ones. I assume this would add an
> entirely new routine to the installer.

a first easy approach would be to gzip the unused modules. That would save a
hell lot of room (cut by half)

it would need patching depmod and modprobe (i recall chmouel telling me about
something like this already done)

chmouel doesn't like it though ;p

> There are a few other nitpicky elimination
>
> unneccesary perl modules (is there a mini-perl ;))

well, the perl-base is quite small for a perl!

> groff fonts (is there a smaller version of groff
> that would allow for man pages and nothing
> else?)

i don't know groff. Someone here skilled you would do it?

[...]

> Only fractions of megabytes would be saved and
> we're talking a system that would remain static.
> I don't propose a mini distribution and I realize
> offering mini versions of packages would change
> the distribution's identity, but the more fat we
> cut, the more options we have.

yep, that's why i didn't agree to the non-stripped glibc (28MB instead of 14MB!)