Ah ha, thanks for the pointer "Written on the back: Logitech OEM M/N: M-S48a"
the back of mine says "M-CAB48A". So... I've been round the office until I
found an M-S48A (in the guise of an Acer mouse), and.... it works. Well b****r
me. I also found one with M-BB48A but I haven't tried that yet. So.... it looks
like my 'variety' of Logitech wheel mouse is not supported by X !! (Rather than
IMPS/2 I used MouseManPlusPS/2, but it worked anyway).

I have also found today http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
but the only mouse they say doesn't work is the M-S48 OEM !!! Well, you live qnd
learn !

Thanks, but disappointed
Owen