Ben Reser wrote:

> The confusion is just that there is one particular individual being very
> loud about his issue.  There are tons of users using ps/2 mice.  If

You want to know why loud? You have to be. I've reported a number of
bugs over several Mandrake beta programs, and only one has produced a
response from anyone with a mandrake.com email address. That one was
Guillaume Cottenceau, who explicitly thanked me on the list for my
persistence.

The problem with my disappearing psaux is that no one with a
mandrake.com email address has suggested what log files or further
procedures on my part would help them either to understand what is
happening or to reproduce. Totally zip. So, I've been logging my
activity on the subject on the mailing list on the hope that sometime
someone else will notice and either allow me to help myself, or actually
produce a fix.

> there was a large problem with PS/2 mice we would have heard more about
> it.

There used to be Kudzu to handle hardware changes upon bootup. Kudzu was
easy: configure new, remove old, ignore. Most importantly, it gave you
time to become aware what it proposed to do, with a nice long default
pause to allow user input.

Whatever is happening now instead of Kuduz is buried. A brief message
flashes on the screen, with no chance to pause startup to digest the
problem, or know what utility is actually doing its deed, much less what
config or /dev files it is screwing up. If you were in interactive
startup, you could do something, except you have to know in advance you
need to select interactive, since once the reconfiguration has happened,
you don't get a second chance the next time around. Have to reinstall
all over again to get another chance. So far, I've been unable to locate
what log file, if any, that this bad startup behavior generated.
Preliminary indication is that it happens before / is mounted rw, and so
logging is lost.

A mouse is no less essential to a desktop environment than a keyboard.
These are basic stuff that has been around almost since the beginning of
time. There is no excuse for basic stuff to be allowed to get screwed
up. It worked before, and always should.
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would have them do
to you . . . ."                                        Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/