On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 08:15:29PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> It might if a fix can come quickly and easily.

Not a chance... Final's already been cut and I don't think your problem
is a bug but a configuration issue on your part.

> I tried simply removing the sound card lines from /etc/modules.conf to
> see if that restored the mouse. Mouse now works again. Sound card lines
> removed:
>
> alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> options sound dmabuf=1
> alias synth0 opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
>
> On boot BIOS reports USB (devno 7), NIC (devno 9), and ACPI (devno -) on
> IRQ 5; ISA device WSS/SB on IRQ 9, DMA 1,0. IDE 2 is not in use, so IRQ
> 15 is not in use. SCSI (devno 8) is on IRQ 10. Video (devno 10) is on
> IRQ 11. AGP is not used. PCI slots are IRQ forced in the BIOS, video on
> 10 slot 1, NIC on 5 slot 2, and SCSI on 11 slot 3. Slot 4 is empty on AUTO.
>
> NIC was forced to IRQ 5 because for some reason I never figured out,
> OS/2 wants ISA sound on IRQ 9 instead of the customary 5, at least it
> did with the ESS1868 card that the CS4235 replaced. When NIC was allowed
> to use IRQ 9, ESS1868 sound could not be made to work.
>
> Sound card is not cs4232. It is cs4235. Motherboard is Tyan S1590
> Trinity. Chipset is VIA MVP3. CPU is K6/2-550.

Well my guess from this information is that your BIOS is configured such
that yrou ps/2 mouse port is using the same io port or irq as your
sound card.

As far as the card not being a cs4232... the driver was probably
orriginally written for the 4232 then support was added for additional
cards and was never renamed.

> But, as shown above, it really is there!
>
> Running sndconfig also broke something else. I'm running the VC's on
> vga=788. When I run mc on the VC's, turning the panel back on with M-o
> causes a bunch of the prior contents of the screen display to scroll at
> a different virtual number of rows and columns (gibberish) before the
> panel draws.

Try changing io or irq on either your ps/2 port if your bios allows that
or on your sound card.

It really looks like some conflicting hardware.  Not a bug.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Never take no as an answer from someone who isn't authorized to say yes.