Guy.Bormann wrote:

  > First, I don't understand why OS/2 also assigns IRQ 15 to the sound card since IRQ
14
  > and 15 are reserved for the Primary and Secondary IDE channel

Two reasons:

1-I had configured USB and both serial ports, and forced SCSI and video
to specific unshared IRQ's, and that meant the only unused IRQ's
available for the sound card were 9 and 15. I've since changed the BIOS
to allow it 5 and 9, by disabling IRQ 3 and allowing USB to use it
instead, and setting 5 as reserved for ISA.

2-OS/2 doesn't find it necessary to reserve IRQ 15 when there is only
one IDE device in the system and the secondary IDE controller is
disabled to free IRQ 15 for something that wants or needs it.

  > resp. IRQ 3,4 and 5 can be used by either the serial port (internal and external)
or
  > ISA cards (check BIOS). Using them for PCI should only be done when there is NO ISA
  > card in ANY slot. Keep them legacy otherwise and you have enough IRQ's > 8 to
  > accomodate all extension cards. But on the other hand, only use IRQ sharing between
  > non-sound card cards.

This Award BIOS doesn't seem to like permissive PCI IRQ sharing, only
sharing to specific slots, like 1 & 4. I once tried two Symbios SCSI
cards that use the same driver, and no matter how I set the BIOS or how
I rearranged the cards in the slots, it simply would not allow the SCSI
cards to share an IRQ.

  >> I thought I had it figured out about the time this post showed up. I had to move
the
  >> forced NIC IRQ from 5 to 3, disable the #2 serial port, and set IRQ 5 to legacy.
  >> Apparently this sound card and Linux just won't play nice together if the sound
card
  >> can't have IRQ 5, regardless of what setting you try to give it in modules.conf.
Once
  >> running, I decided to actually try to do things. I logged in & started Mozilla
  >> Messenger.

  > That used to be typical for ISA Sound Blaster (or compatibles) cards. For older PCI
  > cards (and motherboards), they show some affinity for IRQ 9 (not only in Linux).

  >> Next I tried changing io=0x530 to io=0x534 to match one of the OS/2  allocations.
  >> Repeat the app open steps above, except tried opening Messenger after starting the
  >> music, and got the hard lock immediately. Don't know what to try next.

  > There is one thing that DOS is perfect for on old hardware : using the setup floppy
  > that should have come with your card. Usually there is a small port setup and test
  > utility with which you can figure out the IRQ/IO combo or it tells you if the card
  > needs jumpers set. There should be a leaflet explaining on how to turn also the
card
  > from automatic (f.i. through PNP) to manual setup.

I never tried it the DOS software, and the ISA card is jumperless. No
windoze here, and don't use DOS enough to bother making sound work in
it. Sound card came only with a CD, which is a PITA in DOS. OS/2
installed the ISA sound drivers with no fuss or lockups.

  > Concerning PS/2, it usually is routed to IRQ 12 (check your BIOS, sometimes it
gives
  > you the option of freeing IRQ 12 up for regular PCI usage).

  >> ISA. Phooey!

  > All I said is pretty general. In order to help, can you give me : ANY current BIOS
  > setting related to IRQ's/IO ports and, if supported, binding to INT#'s, occupied
serial
  > ports, all extension cards (including order in slots) including assigned IRQ's
after
  > boot. Also, if you happen to have info on which card (ISA and PCI) have manual
setting
  > jumpers...

No cards have manual jumpers.

Here's the OS/2 CONFIG.SYS entry:

BASEDEV=CWAUDIO.SYS /N:BSAUD1$ /X1:100 /X2:100 /LCAPT:X1X2 /V /I:9 /S:220

Broken down, this means:

/N:BSAUD1$      name of PDD
/X1:100 AUX1 unmute/gain (usually Line-in)
/X2:100 AUX2 unmute/gain (usually CD-ROM in)
/LCAPT:X1X2     Line-In record source X1, X2, *X1X2, L (X1X2 is mixed aux1+aux2)
/V              Verbose Display
/I:9            Codec IRQ
/S:220          Sound Blaster Port *220, 240, 260, 280, NONE

Here are the rest of the possible settings from the OS/2 driver
installation README:

Option/Format  Description           Valid Values (* = Default Value)
/L:<percent>   LINE unmute/gain      0..100 (decimal) (*100)(FM volume)
/T:<value>     Inactivity power down 1..5 minutes     (*1)
/MBY:<0,1>     Mono bypass           *1 (mono-in connected to mono-out)
/MIM:<0,1>     Mono input mute       *1 (mono-in not connected to input mixer)
/MOM:<0,1>     Mono out mute         *0 (audible)
/XCTRL0:<0,1>  XCTRL0 Pin set        System specific.  Sometimes used to
/XCTRL1:<0,1>  XCTRL1 Pin set        control power to amplifier.  On IBM
                                       Aptiva with Bose speakers, set both to 1
/I:<irq>       Codec IRQ             *5, 7, 9, 11, 15 (decimal)
/D:<pDMA,cDMA> Codec DMA             0, 1, 3 (Default 1,0)
/C:<port>      Control Port          120, *538, (120..FF8, divisible by 8)
/J:<port>      Joystick Port         *200, 208, NONE
/M:<port,irq>  MPU Port and IRQ *330, NONE, (300..3E0, divisible by 8)
                                       IRQ: 7, 9, 11, 12, 15, *NONE
/F:<port>      FM synth port *388, NONE, (388..3F8, divisible by 8)
/IRQRate:dd    Target interrupt rate *32  Range: 1..64 interrupts per second
/DMASize:nnnn  DMA Buf size maximum  *8192 Range: 256..16384 (2 IRQs/Buffer)
/S             Skip DOS Envir Var Scan  (*not enabled)
OPL3.SYS       - IBM FM/OPL-3 MIDI Synthesis Physical Device Driver
/P:nnn         Base I/O: Sets the base I/O address for FM device.
                 Is almost always, 388 (nnn is in hex)

Sept 1999 Award BIOS and relevant devices are as follows:

Screen 2:
PS/2 mouse function control -> enabled (Logitech optical wheel mouse)
Screen 3:
OnChip USB -> enabled (nothing currently connected)
Screen 5:
IRQ 5 -> legacy ISA
Assign IRQ for USB -> enabled
Assing IRQ for VGA -> enabled (ET6100)
Slot 1 use IRQ -> 10 (sym53c8xx) (slot adjacent to empty AGP slot)
Slot 2 use IRQ -> 3 (Realtek 8139)
Slot 3 use IRQ -> 11 (ET6100)
Slot 4 use IRQ -> AUTO (empty; reserved for additional storage controller)
Screen 8:
Onboard serial 1 -> 3F8/IRQ4 (external modem when it's powered on)
Onboard serial 2 -> disabled
Onboard parallel port -> 378/IRQ7 (local printer)
Onboard parallel mode -> ECP/EPP
ECP mode use DMA -> 3

On bootup, BIOS reports IRQ's:
IDE             14
USB             3
SCSI            10
Network         3
Display         11
ACPI            3
ISA WSS/SB      9       DMA 1,0

When booted, OS/2's hardware manager reports:

        IRQ     DMA
psaux   12
sound   9.15    3,1
DMA0
DMA1    4
floppy  6       2
IDE0    14
keyboard 1
parallel 7
PIC0
PIC1    2
RTC     8
serial0 4
USB     3
VGA

OS/2 has never listed the Realtek 8139 in hardware manager.
There are other devices listed, but none have IRQ or DMA
allocations. I/O addresses are listed. If you want those
too, let me know.

I tried to find something to list resources in Linux using
apropos, and had no luck. What do I use at the cli to list
them?
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would have them
do to you . . . ."                      Matthew 7:12 NIV

   Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata ***http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3] (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP] (rev 47)
00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 02)
00:07.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B ACPI (rev 10)
00:08.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly NCR) 53c875 (rev
04)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C (rev 10)
00:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: Tseng Labs Inc ET6000 (rev 70)

lspcidrake
agpgart         : VIA Technologies|VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3 AGP]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP]
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B ACPI
sym53c8xx       : Symbios|53c875
8139too         : Realtek|RTL-8139
Card:ET6000 (generic): Tseng Labs Inc|ET6000
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []