On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, SI Reasoning wrote:

> Then why not revert to the package before the bug? It is a pretty serious bug to
> ship with if it creates issues inter-connecting with other windows computers.
> However it may be handled, it was a mistake to ship a final version with a major bug
> like that, regardless if you are microsoft or mandrake.

IT WAS A KERNEL BUG IN 2.4.18 FINAL AS RELEASE BY MARCELO.

DID YOU REALLY WANT TO HAVE THE KERNEL REVERTED IN THE LAST WEEK????

Sorry for shouting, but these questions should have been asked then, not
now. This is exactly why bugs must be reported as soon as possible.

> The Microsoft OS and Office Suite are very expensive but mature software right now.
> Sort of like Novell was when Microsoft released NT4. Linux is still in the rapidly
> maturing stage so it will still be a little rough around the edges with its
> productivity packages, etc. However, Mandrake can still make all of the pieces work
> well together for each release. It is often the little things that get lost in the
> rush to release that has kept Mandrake from becoming a desktop app at our office. I
> maintain both systems, and I can tell you that every little issue that comes up gets
> magnified by users who are rushed and don't get the rsponses they expect (this is
> beyond user ignorance issues). If you get too much of these, then everyone is slowed
> down and the heavy grumbling starts.

Don't tell me you don't have similar issues with MS Office (because you
would be lying).

Your jobs as an admin is partly to shield users from software bugs. You
test the stuff before you deploy it for any issues you find. Once it is
deployed, if there are issues YOU FIX THEM.

This goes for all software.

With Mandrake cooker, you have the opportunity to have them fixed in the
distro.

> I remember installing NT4 and having it available for the office staff. It was (and
> still is) a nightmare to install, had major bizarre quirks (including one major one
> whenever switching video cards and it won't accept the new drivers). however most of
> these bugs were administrative ones and the users were relatively unaware of them.
> It is easier for administrators to deal with these things (but of course NT4 was for
> corporate desktops and not users). Mandrake is designed for both. It think it does a
> very decent job of it too, but have always been frustrated by the fact that each
> release seemed like an almost ready. That is why I am trying to encourage to take
> the extra step and fix the little things before release.

So where were your bug reports as soon as cooker was unfrozen after 8.2???

9.0 is going probably going to be the first linux desktop most of our
users will see. Why? Because I have done some work getting the software we
are going to be relying on fixed, and we are getting the last few pieces
in place to make things go smoothly.