> Not. I disassembled a fair few of them in my childhood, e.g. for carbon anodes
> for chemistry experiments.
Yep, you should talk to Igor, he is sharing the same passion for
batteries... :-)
(As I told him, it could have been a reinforcement frame in a light casing...)

> > In fact, I don't know of any
> > compound combination that produces an (electrochemical(*)) potential of
> > 1.5V!
> Carbon-Zinc does that nicely, and has done for centuries.
Well, since Carbon and Zinc got formed in the Sun, I guess. (Yeah,
yeah, actually, until Galvano or Volta put them togther in the
18th century...:-)
(Anyway, I was confronted off-list with a gaping hole in my memory
concerning redox and fysical chemistry and was pointed to a nice site on
battery technology.)
  Off to bed now... (5am here and in 4hrs I have to get up, phhhewww

Thanks!

Guy