On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 11:32 AM, Ron Stodden wrote:

>> Been there, done that, worked on a every machine.  In fact, a snippet
>> from dmesg on my primary workstation:
>> hda: IDE DVD-ROM 16X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>> hdb: 24X10X40 CD-RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>> hde: Maxtor 53073H6, ATA DISK drive
>> hdf: Maxtor 54098H8, ATA DISK drive
>> hdg: ST380021A, ATA DISK drive
>> hdh: Maxtor 91728D8, ATA DISK drive
>
> My apologies.   My troubles must have been with 8.0 (I dismissed 8.1).

Can't speak on 8.0...  too long ago to remember.

> You might be slightly better off to have used hdc for the CD-RW so
> that you could safely copy CDs.   Both on the one IDE channel is
> dubious with many chipsets.

I don't copy CDs that way.  If I want to copy a CD, I use dd and write
an image to the hdd then burn it.  Call me old fashioned, but I've not
done a CD->CD copy (direct) in years.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"