fredagen den 11 oktober 2002 05.56 skrev Han Boetes:
> Oden Eriksson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > torsdagen den 10 oktober 2002 18.47 skrev Vincent Danen:
> > > On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Let's call them protective.  And  the  threats  were  basically  bad
> > > publicity amongst many other Linux/BSD vendors and communities,  big
> > > anti-MandrakeSoft sentiments on the openssh website,  that  sort  of
> > > thing. I don't recall the particulars, but it was enough for  me  to
> > > remove the offending patches.
> >
> > Hmm..., that sounds just plain childish to me. My godness...
>
> The explanation isn't really good.
>
> Theo and Co make OpenSSH. They do their very best to make it work on all
> platforms even though other people give them a hard time because of  all
> different kinds of versions of pam.
>
> And as long as everybody uses an unpatched version of OpenSSH  they  can
> tell from the bug reports what is going  on  by  looking  at  their  own
> source code. They want to do that. They feel responsible for the product
> and they have a name to keep.
>
> Now somebody sees a nice looking patch and it  is  a  perfectly  written
> patch. They will get questions about the features in it.  For  something
> they never wrote.
>
> What if it contains a bug? They get the questions. And not from  one  or
> two people. No thousands.
>
> What if it contains an exploit... go figure what will  happen  to  them.
> And they really really didn't even do it.

Like the last one, he he...

> And ssh isn't just another app. If it gets broken into you can  severely
> damage a whole distro. I mean patch a kernel... who cares.  That's  your
> problem. You can patch nearly anything but it won't damage  the  product
> kernel. But this is not the case for OpenSSH. If you manage to break  it
> you damage the whole concept of OpenSSH, not only on your own distro, no
> on all platforms.
>
> So I can imagine Theo and  Co  being  very  much  against  custom  added
> patches.
>
> I'd suggest being very careful with OpenSSH  not  to  apply  any  custom
> patches other than things that make the build go right. I'd even suggest
> honoring his opinion about pam just to make sure OpenSSH is  secure  and
> stays that way.

Wow! Now you have made me grasp the whole picture. Thank you.

In the beginning of this thread I was really thrilled and exited with this new
feature..., now I'm not that sure anymore.

Also, why be pioneers and guinea pigs for a closed commercial propetary
software, even when this part of the code is BSD?.

I tend to totally agree with you and Vincent Danen now, skip this patch,
forget I ever mentioned it.

But do make the OpenSSH authors aware of its existance, if not done allready,
they might even like it?. Again, here's the URL:
http://www.vandyke.com/download/os/pks_ossh.html

Let this particular mail act as a FAQ about the OpenSSH policy vs. OpenSSH +
patches policy in Mandrake Linux.

Thank you.
--
Regards // Oden Eriksson - Deserve-IT Networks http://d-srv.com

Check the "Modules For Apache2" status page at:
http://d-srv.com/modules_for_apache2.html