  From: Nicole Massey
  To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
  Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [CnD] cutting food.

  You want full independence, but you don't want to have to check your
  progress with fingers while you're using that independence?
  I periodically check where things are on my plate using finger tips or a
  roll or other hand acceptable food item, and no one has ever said a word. I
  also cut bigger pieces, spear them on a fork, and nibble on them. No one has
  ever said anything about that either, save for the occasional comment that
  it's a big bite, which is satisfied when I start to nibble the piece down to
  a reasonable size.
  One more thing -- you said you want full independence. That's good, but
  don't forget that wants aren't needs, and you may have to settle for
  something less, especially as a transitional step, before you develop the
  skills.

  I'm trying to think of something that has a similar consistency to meat that
  you could get to practice on, like a slab of Styrofoam or foam rubber that
  you could cut into pieces to develop some knife and fork skills, but nothing
  is coming to mind right now.