From: "Nicole Massey" <ny...@gypsyheir.com>
To: <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [CnD] cutting food.

You want full independence, but you don't want to have to check your
progress with fingers while you're using that independence?
I periodically check where things are on my plate using finger tips or a
roll or other hand acceptable food item, and no one has ever said a word. I
also cut bigger pieces, spear them on a fork, and nibble on them. No one has
ever said anything about that either, save for the occasional comment that
it's a big bite, which is satisfied when I start to nibble the piece down to
a reasonable size.
One more thing -- you said you want full independence. That's good, but
don't forget that wants aren't needs, and you may have to settle for
something less, especially as a transitional step, before you develop the
skills.

I'm trying to think of something that has a similar consistency to meat that
you could get to practice on, like a slab of Styrofoam or foam rubber that
you could cut into pieces to develop some knife and fork skills, but nothing
is coming to mind right now.