Hi all,

Stuart, thank you very much for your thorough response.

Regarding serializability concerns, I've just checked my changes and all
non-test code in the JDK which calls it, and it doesn't seem to me that
they affect any fields in `Serializable` classes or the return values of
methods which either return instances of `Serializable` classes or whose
javadoc mention that the returned object is serializable. So I'm somewhat
certain that my changes are serialization-compatible, but only somewhat,
because I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of serialization...

Considering how busy Stuart is, would anyone else be happy to sponsor this
change?

Kind regards,
Jonathan