On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:46:45 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> I'd like to uplevel the discussion a bit. This PR started off to tweak the
> way in which `System::load` worked in AIX. We then discussed a bunch of
> options, talked about `Symbol::libraryLookup` and verified that this lookup
> allows to load libraries as expected in AIX. There's some jextract issues
> which need to be worked out, but that's outside the scope of this PR.
>
> That said, is there anything that we feel could be improved in terms of
> library loading support with `System::load` ? My conclusion was that, given
> that in this case we needed a fully versioned archive member, it is hard to
> implement and/or to expose as a simple `mapLibraryName` add-on. Is that
> correct?
>
> If you feel that there's not much that `System::load` can do for these cases,
> then I'd suggest we close this PR, and perhaps move the discussion about
> jextract either on `jextract-dev` or on `panama-dev`. Thanks!

I Feel it is good to at least keep the option for Java developers to use
system.load for member objects.
Also , the original intention of the PR was to allow .so to .a mapping if .so
is not there. This fix had gone into J9 and I think it would be good to keep
this support in OpenJDK too.
In summary, the functionality to parse members can be kept limited to
System.load and the deterministic .so to .a mapping as part of
System.loadLibrary().

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17945#issuecomment-2016475083