Hi Raj,

Be your delay forgiven ;). I agree we should write in English
primarily, but
using another language might prove fruitful from time to time -
whenever all
other means of explanation fail, or when we happen to find a useful
linguistic parallel in the particular foreign language or a mother
tongue of

-- you can say "mother tongue" but most people say "native language"
John

one's own. I don't mind friendly greetings in various languages, but
let's
use English as much as possible. For me as a Czech, groups like this
seem to
have born some fruits already (moreover, this has been the only
opportunity
to use English for a few months or so), nevertheless, I still haven't
achieved the level of English I'd like to.

What level would you like to achieve ?  For ordinary business letters,
conversation, etc.,
it looks like you've already achieved it to me.  Would you like to try
to read James Joyce
for example, or T.S. Eliot?  These, especially Joyce, are really really
advanced texts, which
MOST native speakers find difficult or impossible.  --- JOHN

Now, we get to your posting. I can't comment on your punctuation, since
I'm
by no means sure, how to use it properly, but there's one thing I can
write

No comma after "sure" John

about: spelling. If I'm not mistaken, you wanted to use the verb
"hurt", not
"heart", as "heart" is a noun - the muscle beating in your chest and
pumping
your blood all over the body. I think the pronunciation is diverse,
too, but

no comma after "diverse"  -- John

I admit there might be dialects or accents of English, in which the
difference has disappeared already, and, if you wanted to use the
dialect,
you'd have to stick to its distinct pronunciation rules in order to
keep
certain consistency and thus be understood.

-- I do not know of any dialect of English where "heart" would be
confused with "hurt".
--"Hurt" and "heard" (past participle of "hear") could be confused
though.
-- John

I must look at my English grammar handbook again and do some revision
after
the long time of sleeping :), so, whenever I make any mistake, I hope
to be
corrected by any of you, dear friends, for which I thank you in
advance.

-- There is nothing grammatically wrong with the above sentence, but
"the long time of sleeping"
-- and "any mistake" (should be "a mistake") sound somewhat stilted.

-- Also, at least in the USA, we very seldom call people "dear friends"
unless they are truly
-- intimates, and maybe not even then.
--- Bye, John


Yours,


Pet'usek (which is a familiar local diminutive of Petr in Czech)


P.S.: There's one thing I'd like to ask the native speakers - correct
word
order. As various grammars vary in what the correct word order should
be, 
I'd love to know your personal opinions. Thanks again.

Reply via email to