2005/10/25, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> -- you can say "mother tongue" but most people say "native language"
> John

Oh, of course, "mother tongue" could sound a bit old-fashioned, couldn't it?

> What level would you like to achieve ?  For ordinary business letters,
> conversation, etc.,
> it looks like you've already achieved it to me.  Would you like to try
> to read James Joyce
> for example, or T.S. Eliot?  These, especially Joyce, are really really
> advanced texts, which
> MOST native speakers find difficult or impossible.  --- JOHN

Actually, I'd like to achieve the highest level :) I know I want too much :)

> Now, we get to your posting. I can't comment on your punctuation, since
> I'm
> by no means sure, how to use it properly, but there's one thing I can
> write
>
> No comma after "sure" John

I see - that differs from what we have in Czech. :) Thank you.

> about: spelling. If I'm not mistaken, you wanted to use the verb
> "hurt", not
> "heart", as "heart" is a noun - the muscle beating in your chest and
> pumping
> your blood all over the body. I think the pronunciation is diverse,
> too, but
>
> no comma after "diverse"  -- John

I see. Another difference. Could this be different in British English?
I think I've seen a sentence with a comma preceding "too".

> -- I do not know of any dialect of English where "heart" would be
> confused with "hurt".
> --"Hurt" and "heard" (past participle of "hear") could be confused
> though.

Britain is rich in dialects, but I'd have to look at Gimson's
Pronunciation to be sure.

> -- There is nothing grammatically wrong with the above sentence, but
> "the long time of sleeping"
> -- and "any mistake" (should be "a mistake") sound somewhat stilted.

Yeah, I felt that too. Could you thus rewrite the sentence in order to
show me what it should have looked like?

> -- Also, at least in the USA, we very seldom call people "dear friends"
> unless they are truly
> -- intimates, and maybe not even then.
> --- Bye, John

Oh, sure. But you might have noticed I wanted to sound funny and be,
say, hyperbolic, if you like :) (whence the archaic "Be your delay
forgiven!" :))

Thanks for the corrections, John. I'm happy to have learnt something again.

Best,

Pet'usek

Reply via email to