Well, I'm a bit of a rookie here, so take this with a grain of salt,
but here's where my impression comes from:

First, I chose not to get emails from the group ... the last thing I
need are more emails that I have to wade through.  So I come to the
group site to check things out when I want to, but otherwise leave
everything there.

That being said, this thread got 11 responses the same day it was
posted, and then 7 more the next day.  That was Feb. 9 and Feb. 10.
Since then, there was only one more post on Feb. 16 until I (and you)
posted to it today.  So, you have to admit, after two days of a lot of
interest, it appears now that this post is old news and I just wasn't
sure if the topic was now dead or not.  For all I know, someone else
may have started a new thread that relates to the topic, but I
wouldn't have seen that thread.

My experience with forums is that you don't lose these kinds of
conversations this way ... a new post puts the thread back at the top,
and there's an organized way to look through topics, which is a great
way to research.  This seems particularly helpful to new people (like
myself) so we can get up to speed much quicker, and participate in a
more relevant way.  If I can read up on "beginner" topics, then I
don't have to ask the same questions everyone before me asked.  If I
want to spend more time researching anything more in depth, I can get
up to speed with everyone else so far on the topic within a day or two
(or maybe even just an hour or two).

Also, when I recently posted some questions, I only got one posted
response, and now my thread has been pushed down to irrelevancy ...
very quickly, it seems.

I appreciate and respect that this discussion format through email
allows people more of an instant conversation with eachother on a
topic, but I just wish it were categorized and organized a little
better so each thread would remain relevant longer and I could more
easily find and read what I want to.

Again, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds on the issue, as I am
still a newbie to the group and to coworking in general ...