On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Barbie <bar...@missbarbell.co.uk> wrote:
>> I fundamentally disagree with those kind of heuristics, which is why I
>> haven't implemented them in CPAN::Reporter.
>
> Why? If an OS specific distribution fails on an OS it isn't meant for a
> NA report is the correct one.

I'm opposed to heuristics based on filename (or package name), for
three reasons (a) because they are a pain to maintan, (b) it
presupposed that *nothing* in that namespace would ever run on another
platform, (c) it doesn't reflect the end-user experience.

With respect to (c), things like Devel::AssertOS cause an early
failure with a clear message that something doesn't work on a
particular OS.  That's a much better approach than having something
die in the middle of "make" or "make test" with some obscure error
that doesn't clearly indicate it's an OS issue.

-- David