On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:49:26 +0100
Alan K Baker wrote:

[snip]

>   Without me looking up specifications, if color has no meaning, then
>   how do you propose to change the color of a horizontal rule? It is
>   not a border, neither is it a background, so how else would you
>   style its color property? To answer my own question, Mozilla
>   obviously think it's a background element, but then you can't simply
>   put printable characters on top of it, so they are breaking the
>   rules.

[snip]

It is an empty container with a border which is not allowed to contain
anything other than a background colour or background image.

http://www.highdots.com/css-editor/html_tutorial/block/hr.html
NOTE: "Contents: Empty" in the above.
http://blakems.com/experimental/hr/
http://www.3internet.co.uk/resources/Design/theHRtag.aspx

To compare browsers here is a test page (groove is usually the default
for a hr line):
http://www.comptutor.org/mytest/HR_Examples.html

However the HTML specs on it are light allowing browser manufacturers to
do as they please. No rules are being broken by either browser.

HTML2: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.9
HTML3.2: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#hr
HTML4: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/graphics.html#edef-HR

I do ask you this, if it is the foreground that is see-through in IE
then how does IE allow a background image?
That question is rhetorical and requires you only to think it through.

Upshot is if you want to acheive a solid colour HR either use both the
background-color and color or use a solid coloured border and overflow
hidden. I usually put a bottom border on the content div above instead
but this is not always practical.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416