  From: Manfred Staudinger
  To: Alan K Baker
  Cc: css-d
  Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:42 AM
  Subject: Re: [css-d] <hr /> styling

  Hi Alan,

  > Safari behaves in a similar way to Opera.
  Which Safari and do you have a screen shot?

  > you don't set border-style so I don't know where it inherits that
  Philippe Wittenbergh has shown us (in this thread) the default settings
  for Fx3, so you might want to look into it again.

  > Firefox is even worse as it doesn't seem to know what fuchsia and aqua
  > are so displays white with inset borders in shades of gray.
  Of course Fx know these colors, but it does not want to apply any!
  (to proof that I've updated http://test.rudolphina.org/hr.html )

  > the only really useful browser consistent attribute that <hr> has is
  > its ability to alter its width
  It is not as bad as you see it now: if you apply a padding for non-IE and
  reserve height for IE you will be able to use the background-color
consistently.

  Cheers,

  Manfred

  On 09/04/2008, Alan K Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  > Hi Manfred.
  >
  >  Safari behaves in a similar way to Opera.
  >
  >  In non-IE browsers, when a border is shown it appears to be in an inset
style in two colors, but looking at your code, you don't set border-style so I
don't know where it inherits that from.
  >  Firefox is even worse as it doesn't seem to know what fuchsia and aqua are
so displays white with inset borders in shades of gray. The borders do take on
the same hue family in lime!

  >  What a total nightmare and a minefield for the unwary.
  >
  >  I must admit that if I'd specified the original <hr> that I used, I'd have
made a 1px box with a background color and specified its length. ISTM that the
only really useful browser consistent attribute that <hr> has is its ability to
alter its width to suit its container. :-)