</A> -Cui Bono?-

In a message dated 1/24/00 11:41:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED],Internet writes:
>  > I wonder who runs the damn thing, and
>
>  >how they organize the meetings!!  I suspect that at a different time each
>
>  >month the members go to some place of their own choosing and hold a
>  >meeting,
>
>  >at which other members may or may not be in attendance, at which time they
>
>  >each individually propose ideas that are accepted or rejected by the
>  >others
>
>  >(if present), after implimentation all proposals are promptly ignored.
>

>  You obviously have never spent any time around anarchists and  know
>  nothing of our ways. If you have read about us at all, besides the
>  misleading common dictionary entry, you have clearly never read our
>  version, not even the internet FAQ.  A word of advice: research first,
>  talk second, look smart afterwards.
>
>  Meetings are what we do best. We believe, by definition, that one
>  anarchist's opinion is worth as much as the next's. This has forced us to
>  refine consensus decision making to a fine art. We're really good at it.
>  The rest of you could learn a thing or two.
>
>  Allow me to illustrate from my personal life.  I'm part of a group that
>  runs Bound Together Anarchist Collective Book Store, 1369 Haight St., SF
>  CA. We've been in business twenty five years this year. We're open seven
>  days a week fro 1:30AM to 7:30PM, 365 days a year. It's a store, like any
>  other, except that instead of a boss we have a meeting once a month. I'm
>  also part of the Book Fair committee, a sub set of the Book Store
>  collective. Once a year we rent a hall in Golden Gate Park and throw the
>  Annual San Francisco Anarchist Book Fair. Vendors come from all over the
>  place. Three or four thousand people show up to hear speakers, buy books,
>  periodicals, T-shirts, etc. and meet each other,  some for the first time.
>  We feed them. We clean up afterward. We arrange all the logistics and
>  handle the money. We always come out ahead.  We meet once a week for the
>  three or months leading up to it and a couple times during the rest  of
>  the year. A decisions are consensus. Everybody does their part, well, and
>  on time. This year it's on April 14.  Do come. It's big fun. Also there
>  are a lot of parties later.
>
>  The membership of the Book Store collective overlaps with the staff of AK
>  Press and Distribution and the staff of Maximum Rock and Roll magazine.
>  Both are long term going concerns owned and self managed by their
>  "employees."  AK started in Edinburgh Scotland and is now literally a
>  multinational corporation.
>
>  If we can do this, you can do it to. It ain't rocket science. Any cook can
>  govern. Govern your own job. Govern your own life. You'll be a lot happier.

Thanks for the fine illustrations Nessie.  I was just joking, of course.
Anarchists have to have an organizational structure in order to develop
policy and institute actions.

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"