</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000124a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE ENTIRE BULLETIN WHEN YOU REPLY; CUT/PASTE, EH?
* Original pottery was fired over dried cow dung to produce this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# The dolphin is Elian Gonzalez's best friend. Dolphins protected him from
  those mean old sharks, Elian says, and that's inspired at least one poet
  and an artist. Says poet Jose Manuel Carballo: "I believe it's true. And
  even if it isn't, you have to write it because it's poetic."
   http://www.herald.com/content/sun/news/dade/digdocs/013271.htm
# Meet <http://www.miaminewtimes.com/issues/current/metro.html> Elian's
  criminally inclined Miami kin. And see http://www.obscurestore.com/

: What's your favorite truth? Does it need to be real in order to be true?
Are some truths false, but true anyway? Are some falsehoods true too? Why?
Is an animal your best friend? Are dolphins better than people? All of us?

# Lion Eats Italian Animal Lover - Man's Remains Found in Beast's Cage:
  http://www.apbnews.com/newscenter/breakingnews/2000/01/23/lion0123_01.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# High school officials approve anarchy club. Says Anarchist Student Union
  president Anna Propas, 15: "We're surprised that we got the club approved.
  We're the misfits of Irvington. We don't conform to what society thinks
  is normal." http://www.sjmercury.com/premium/local/docs/anarchist24p.htm

: Are you a misfit anarchist? Have you organized a club of other anarchists?
Do you have a set of by-laws? Is this the first step towards nothing? How?

# Kinkel's confession tapes released - "I had no other choice"
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563545321-979
# Panel denies massacre by Japan - revisionists run amok:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574408-c7d
# Reagan daughter: Dad 'not so good' - alien implant rusting badly:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574561-313
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ HUMAN BODY CAN HANDLE A LOT OF TOXINS. Our bodies have gone thru a long
  evolutionary process of defending itself against "natural" toxins.So don't
  get too worried about tiny amounts of man-made toxins we may occasionally
  ingest. http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=26118

: Has Dr. Edell become an apologist for toxin producers? Are you easily per-
suaded to ingest toxins? Are McBurgers more/less dangerous than dioxin? Eh?

@ Another Chemtrail Analysis: 90% Normal...10% Secret Biological
  Research: http://www.chemtrails.org/chemtrails/conclusion.html
@ America the unready; Biowarfare may be the worst terrorist threat of all:
  http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/current/index_us3588.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# West warned on climate refugees. The Bangladeshi Environment Minister has
  said that if climate change causes sea levels to rise in line with scien-
  tific predictions, her country will have millions of homeless people. And
  she said the rich world would have to find room for them. Every single
  one. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_613000/613075.stm

# Also - Climate change warning:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_526000/526690.stm
# Global warming can make sea level plunge:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_467000/467928.stm
# Climate disaster possible by 2100:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_443000/443837.stm
# 'Ignore global warming hype' says scientist:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_484000/484868.stm

: What's your favorite climate change? Have you changed any climates lately?
Did you cause social/economic/political/artistic/environmental crises? Why?

@ Climate Change, Its Impacts: http://www.met-office.gov.uk/sec5/CR_div/CoP5
@ Rapid Climate Change www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/99articles/Taylor.html
@ Changes: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/climate/climate.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# LOW RANK, STRESS LINKED TO SOLDIERS' BACK PAIN. Low rank, high stress, and
infrequent aerobic exercise all contribute to a soldier's risk for disabling
lower back pain: http://www.healthcentral.com/news/newsfulltext.cfm?ID=23451

# MASSAGE BEATS ACUPUNCTURE IN TREATING LOW BACK PAIN. Massage outperformed
acupuncture and self-care in the treatment of low back pain - study. It was
also more cost effective. Well, which would you rather have - a massage or
needles? http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=23312

: Does your back hurt? Is it due to social/hierarchical unfairness, alien
implants, imbalanced bodily energy, bad thoughts, demons, deities, robots?

@ Interpret Dreams: http://www.bibliomania.com/NonFiction/Freud/Dreams/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Utopian thought has a dismal record, but the idea is still kicking.
  Some cautions against five new visions of the perfect society:
  http://www.theatlantic.com/cgi-bin/o/issues/2000/01/001weinberg.htm

: What's your favorite utopian thought? Can you make a perfect world? How
many people will you have to kill to achieve perfection? Do you keep trying?

# Jihad leader overthrown - close confidant of Osama bin Laden:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574516-daf
# Chechen rebels open Afghan embassy - blessed by Taliban:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563577577-f83
# Also: Chechen 'ambassador' not recognized, see
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574371-66f
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sata-Rama:

# NASA may send satellite into Pacific. CAPE CANAVERAL (AP) - To avoid the
  dread of a 17.5-ton astronomy satellite tumbling at random out of the sky,
  NASA splash it into the Pacific in March. The 9-year-old Compton Gamma Ray
  Observatory is still on a scientific par with the newly fixed Hubble Space
  Telescope despite the failure of one of three gyroscopes in December. But
  NASA isn't sure whether the Compton Observatory can function in orbit if
  another gyroscope breaks. And with 1-in-1,000 odds of such a big, out-of-
  control satellite hurting or killing someone, NASA is loath to take any
  chances. http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2563574315-fc6

@ Satellites & Remote Sensing:  http://www.scicentral.com/S-satrem.html
@ WWW Virtual Library: Remote Sensing: http://www.vtt.fi/aut/rs/virtual/
@ Remote Sensing Data/Info: http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/rsd/RemoteSensing.html
@ Journalist's Guide to RS: http://gurukul.ucc.american.edu/earthnews/
@ Imaging Radar Resources: http://southport.jpl.nasa.gov/links/links.html

# $75 Sat.Tracker: http://www.spacedaily.com/spacecast/news/sens-99a.html

@ EarthShots: Satellite Images of Environmental Change:
  http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/earthshots/slow/tableofcontents
@ Commercial Satellite Imagery Comes of Age:
  http://www.nap.edu/issues/16.1/florini.htm

  "Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens." --anon

* Rev. R.Carter, ULC * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringes of: Science, Faith, Sex, Dope, Art, Paranormal, Conspiracy
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm