</A> -Cui Bono?-

SkeptiNews 000224a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* PLEASE do NOT include the ENTIRE bulletin when you reply; cut/paste, eh?
* Portal to announcements, disclaimers, more: http://skepticon.pitas.com
* No invisible companions were harmed during production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Scissors... http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~scissors/scissorcelebs.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Another Hoax? I Shot at a UFO! SAN FRANCISCO -- On the evening of Super
  Bowl Sunday 2000, I looked up and saw a huge triangular object hovering
  above my boat with NO sound. I was hit by a beam of white light and fell
  backward. I grabbed my Ruger 10-22 rifle loaded with a 100 round banana
  magazine and stared firing as fast as I could until the clip was empty.
  The Triangle flew off to the south. http://www.caus.org/mu022400.htm

@ Call For A New Understanding Of UFOs: http://www.caus.org/mc022400.htm
@ UFO Debunking Versus Counterintelligence. To the pro-ufologist, debunking
  and counterintelligence (CI) efforts are seen as the greatest hindrances
  to legitimate research. The two terms are frequently used as synonyms.
  In fact, they are two very distinct operations, and from two sources:
  govt and civilians. http://eserver.org/cyber/debunk.txt

: Would you rather debunk/welcome/study/shoot/control/evade UFOs? Are UFOs
and their debunking both parts of Multiple-User Shared Hallucinations? Are
all realities? Have you hoaxed any MUSHs lately? Have they shot back? When?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CIA: Beware Russia, China cyberthreat. Forget the Cold War -- that's so
  passe! Congress is told that archrivals are developing tools to attack
  commercial computer networks in the US. Is Pentagon planning retaliation?
 http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2445516,00.html?chkpt=zdnntop

# FBI Issues 'Routine' Terror-Threat Advisory - Cites Waco, Oklahoma City,
  World Trade Center Anniversaries - it's firebombing season again, eh?
  http://apbnews.com/newscenter/breakingnews/2000/02/22/terror0222_01.html

: Would you rather be attacked physically/virtually by (dis)organized forces
or unseen divine/demonic powers? D'ya prefer nuclear/biological/chemical/el-
ectronic/digital/neural warfare? D'ya feel threatened? Will you retaliate??

# BioWar Fears Misplaced, Harvard prof sez. (U-WIRE) CAMBRIDGE, Mass. --
  Should Americans be afraid of an attack with biological weapons? The
  country is in no grave danger of germ warfare from abroad, according to
  one Harvard professor who says the media tends to exaggerate the threat
  & inflate popular fears. http://news.excite.com/news/uw/000223/health-33
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Copts of Egypt strive to preserve early Christian legacy; Pope visits amid
  strained ties with Muslims. CAIRO (AP) Copts are generally free to pray in
  churches redolent with incense & resounding with ancient hymns, & to work
  & go to school with other Egyptians. But communal violence highlights the
  simmering problems that undermine attempts to unify Egypt into a mosaic of
  faiths & peoples. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,150015399,00.html?

# Pope begins Middle East pilgrimages - plans to burn bush on Mt. Sinai:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564529282-905
# Also: Egypt awaits, prepares for pope - ritual sacrifices of pagans:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564541558-c2a
# Pope hails Egypt as a cradle of learning - but that was long ago:
  http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,150016433,00.html

: Has your belief system conquered any territory lately? D'ya prefer to hold
physical/virtual space, both, neither? If you've got'em by the balls, will
their hearts & minds follow? Have you persecuted any non-believers lately??

@ History of the Conquest of Mexico: http://www.bbslaguna.com.mx/Conquest/
@ THE GREEN BOOK by Mu`ammar al-Qadhafi. Solution to Problems of Democracy:
  The Authority of the People: http://eserver.org/govt/the-green-book.txt
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Web Watch from Swatch, Sega. A new watch using Sega's Dreamcast home video
  game console and a Swatch watch with wireless communications features will
  soon connect wrists to the Web. Next: electronic brain-body shackles, eh?
  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,34542,00.html?tw=wn20000224

# Nanocircuits Coming Soon As Silicon Chips Near Theoretical Limit - is
  quantum cobalt the next magic brew? http://www.msnbc.com/news/365474.asp
# 404s Are Sexy!!! http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,34510,00.html

: Are you totally wired yet? Are you completely covered with netted wearable
appliances? Are they convenient, necessary, holy, digestible? Is disconnec-
tion equivalent to capital punishment? Are you a dead-link necrophiliac??

# SCORE ONE FOR THE BLIND. [ via http://www.artsjournal.com/ ] New software
  allows instant translation of sheet music/recordings into Braille for
  blind musicians. http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,34495,00.html
# All Eyes on Braille Software - bringing more content to the blind than
  ever before. http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,34435,00.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Deadbeat dad: I'm a monk now so I can't pay support. He says he has an
  excuse <http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/feb00/krishna23022200a.asp> for
  not paying child support the last seven years: He's now a Hare Krishna
  monk and doesn't have any income. Awww. Via http://www.obscurestore.com/

# Deepak Chopra Back in Court - Spiritual Guru Accused of Sexual Harassment:
  http://www.apbnews.com/media/celebnews/2000/02/24/chopra0224_01.html
# JESUS SHAVES: http://www.esquiremag.com/sedaris/000301_mds_shaves01.html
@ Xian Freedom: http://fordham.edu/halsall/mod/luther-freedomchristian.html

: Does your belief system provide convenient excuses for your behaviours and
attitudes? Have your deities forgiven you for being such an asswipe? Do you
prefer absolution in physical/virtual/spiritual/nanotechnological realms??

# Israeli minister stirs outrage by vowing revenge against Muslims -
  "Blood for blood, soul for soul, child for child." Kill'em all:
  http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2564533991-24c
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiBriefs - it's your turn to ask questions:

# IS IT A TEAR? AN EGG? A UFO? No, it's Beijing's spectacularly daring new
  French-designed theater complex. "Fears that foreign design will neverthe-
  less raise cultural hackles are so pervasive that Peking has imposed a
  media blackout on the topic, even though demolition" has already started.
  www.independent.co.uk/news/World/Asia_China/2000-02/chinaopera240200.shtml

@ The Nature of Civilization: http://eserver.org/gender/rosenfels/Nature.htm
# GI Joe to be joined by JFK action figure - child mind-control programming
  succeeds: http://cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/02/23/jfk.ap/index.html
# Thailand Warns Teens About MSG - don't using the food additive as a sexual
  stimulant: http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000224/10/thailand-aphrodisiac
# FAMILY CANCER CLUSTERS MIGHT BE DUE TO GERMS, NOT GENETICS OR CHEMICALS:
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=28152

# Earth's Life Crowded Into Small Area (AP) More than 1/3 of the planet's
  plant and animal species exist exclusively on a scant 1.4 percent of its
  land surface. Vulnerable to environmental degradation, NBC warfare, alien
  intervention: http://news.excite.com/news/ap/000224/01/earths-hotspots

  "I discovered my wife in bed with another man, and I was crushed.
   So I said, 'Get off me, you two!'" --Emo Philips

* Rev.R.Carter,ULC * http://skepticon.pitas.com * FAX: 603-415-3736
* SkeptiChat & SkeptiNews - latest: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/x.html
* Fringes of: Science, Faith, Sex, Dope, Art, Paranormal, Conspiracy