-Caveat Lector-

BF>Politically, the nation was not founded on Jewish or Christian religious
beliefs.  Obviously, there are no references to God in the Constitution beyond
the calendar date, nor in the Declaration beyond what would appear to be the
conception of the Deity found in Enlightenment circles.  This is what appears to
be, and I accept this as historical fact.  Socially, however, we have always been
a Judeo-Christian nation in an organic sense.  We have paid lip service to ideas
generally found in these traditions, albeit in a very pluralistic way.  American
social reform movements have almost always been centered on some kind of
religious basis, from Abolitionism to the Civil Rights movement and movements to
end child labor.  This is also social fact.
    Before the era of the Revolution there were the original Pilgrims and others
who came and built a nation.  Some practiced tolerance, others repression.
Whether they were Jewish, Christian, Rosicrucian, or whatever they were there
were very few atheists.  The age of the Revolution and times after that freed
anti-religious people to believe what they believe without repression.  I
acknowledge that.  However, the very small minority of Satanists, who may have
their rights under our laws, should not have the right to determine the symbolism
offensive to the vast majority be included in our nation's capital (the vast
majority including Buddhists, Hindus, and others who have incorporated some
western religious ideas in to their faith).  Yes, this is a Republic and not a
democracy.  Whether for good or ill, I accept that this is our system.  However
there is nothing in the laws or the Constitution suggesting that the capital must
be designed a certain way.  To say so would make Satanism the official religion
of the United States.
    Obviously, people of many faiths and no faith have agreed that right is right
and wrong is wrong.  In a human sense, this united many people in the effort to
build a Republic, and many efforts to build a better society.  It is not my
intent to alienate or offend anyone, but I have to stand for what I believe.  I
have no mechanism by which to back out of that and do anything else.  Would you
have me be a coward?  I have met great opposition in my endeavers, and have felt
more frustrated than I can describe.  I have decided and now determined that, if
I am to be opposed in life, I might as well face opposition for a good reason.
    As far as Jesus is concerned, I am officially agnostic as to who the Messiah
will be.  Many claims have been made about the subject.  There may in fact be two
Messiahs, a son of David and a son of Joseph.  I do not really know.  I do know
that the concept of a Trinity, with all due respect to the Christian believers
who may be reading this, is not in line with my conception of monotheism.  I
believe that the Gentile world is bound by the Seven Laws of Noah:

A)No idolatry
B)No blasphemy ("blessing" the Divine Name)
C)No murder
D)No sexual immorality
E)No theft
F)Honor just courts
G)No eating a limb from a torn animal (no animal cruelty).

These are the general rules of monotheism.  However, I would not want to alienate
Muslims and Christians who feel that it is not as simple as this from doing their
part to help make a better world.  Nor would I want to exclude anyone else of
good will.  I appeal to those who can act to please act.  I appeal to those who
agree with me to please help remove what you know in your heart is wrong from
inviting evil influences in to the highest reaches of power.
                                                                    Thankyou, and
all the best,

Bates