-Caveat Lector-

Euphorian spotted this on the Guardian Unlimited site and thought you should see it.

To see this story with its related links on the Guardian Unlimited site, go to
http://www.guardian.co.uk

Simpson berates 'hysterical' US networks
Fiachra Gibbons, arts correspondent
Friday October 18 2002
The Guardian

John Simpson, the BBC correspondent who "liberated" Kabul, has attacked "gonzo"
journalists who are cheerleading the world to war.

The veteran world affairs editor, who was smuggled into Afghanistan in an extra large
burka and admitted he "got a bit carried away" when he strode into Kabul ahead of
Northern Alliance fighters, was withering in his criticism of US news networks.

He reserved most of his derision for Rupert Murdoch's Fox News channel, which has now
overtaken CNN in the States, and its star reporter, Geraldo Rivera, the man it bills
as "the world's greatest war correspondent".

Fox News was "dysfunctional, grotesquely patriotic and embarrassing" and had mislead
the American public after September 11 with "hysterical, excitable reporting", he told
an audience at the Cheltenham Literary Festival, where he was reading from his new
book, News From No Man's Land.

Rivera, he said, had turned up late in Kabul with a pair of pearl-handled pistols
boasting that he wanted to bring home the head of Osama bin Laden "and bronze it".

"He pulled out these pistols and waved them in the air," he said. "I have my problems
with CNN and I sometimes have my problems with the BBC, but I can't remember seeing
anyone doing that before in a live broadcast."

The result was the US public had been horribly misinformed, he said. "I went to Ground
Zero and I found that many people believed US immigration policy was the reason why
America was so disliked. Thank God I don't have to broadcast to them. There is no
recognition of linkage with America's support for Israel. There is a great hunger for
information in America which people are not just getting."

"It was a lot of nonsense that Islam and the west are locked in eternal conflict. It's
purely politics and local politics often at that. Osama bin Laden is primarily
motivated by wanting to remove American bases from Saudi Arabia and by the Palestinian
problem. It is as small as that."

Simpson said Saddam Hussein was a regular, "irritable viewer" of his World TV
programme on BBC World despite the fact that his deputy, Tariq Aziz, once threatened
to "liquidate me if I asked another question... My information is that the main
oilfields are already mined, ready for exploding...  In 1991, I thought it was just a
question of getting down to the war and the Iraqis will collapse, which is indeed what
happened. This time I don't think it is going to be quite that easy."

He said George Bush was a man of below average intelligence and a "glovepuppet of his
vice-president, Dick Cheney, and defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld".

In a passionate defence of BBC World he said it should be funded by the state "given
its huge importance in terms of Britain's standing in the world". He said it was wrong
that, given its average audience of a quarter of a billion people, it had to survive
on a shoestring budget and was not shown in Britain.

Finally, he hinted that his own love/hate relationship with the corporation might not
last much longer: "I still love the BBC, but I could tell you some stories. I'm too
old to sulk, too old to care, though I test it to extremes. I'll have to pay my own
way, too, quite soon, I think."

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>